Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

If Only Airplanes Had Windows I Could Open

I pulled the straps on my backpack to tighten them and I ran. Humans can accelerate faster from a stop than a horse. I think I had heard that on Discovery or someplace now I knew it for a fact. A few meters of running and a frantic leap later I was in, barely. The constant chug-chug of a train is soothing to a certain degree. I had just completed the quintessential Indian way of catching a train. The Agniveena Express was always packed to the rafters with "daily-passengers" making their commute from the moffusils to Kolkata. It made no sense trying to push trough into a compartment jam packed with people. There is no escaping the fact that India is a country of over a billion people whenever one steps out of home in India. I did what I usually did and took out the extras page from that day's newspaper, which I always unerringly bought on my way into the railway station. I spread it out on the floor right next to the door, with my legs out on the foot board I sat down on it. Plugged into my music and stared out at the trees and green fields. As the wind hit me on the face, the sights sounds and smells of my motherland flooded my senses.
The stewardess was startled when I woke up with a "whoop"; I told her I had been dreaming. She smiled and asked me to fix my seat belt, the captain was making an announcement about the time of descent and rough weather around Houston. I looked out; the Lone Star state lay thousands of feet below me. The only sounds I could hear were Audioslave on my earphones and the constant drone of the twin jet engines on the Airbus A319 in the background, which reminded me that I need to get myself a pair of QC headphones. The only smells; were of scores of different eau-de-colognes on the flight and the sterilized smell of the cabin air. The only air hitting me on my face was the steady stream from the air conditioning outlet. A strange emptiness set into me. I realized how long it has been and how much longer it was going to be. I scrolled through my music and found that I wanted to listen to "Who Put the Weight of The World", I cranked up the volume and I wished.....

No comments:

Post a Comment