Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

THE LONGEST DAY OF MY LIFE

Sahnawaz gave me this diary today. I dunno if I should be writing "today" because today I saw two sunrises and one sunset. I have been flying continuously, except for the transit at New Delhi IGI for God knows how long and both my body and mind are unaware of where yeaterday, tomorrow and today have got all muddled up. I guess you can call this a sort of time travel. I really do not know what the actual time should be right now. And the AI on-flight is not showing the flight map that is usually does.
Below, far below my window is the unfamiliar sight of a sea of rolling white clouds. From up here they all resemble huge bundles of cotton or maybe something else that is soft and fluffy and white, I do not know what to call it. The distant horizon is a red line glowing brilliantly within which is our all so familiar Sun but he looks more benevolent from up here I do not know why. The airhostess gave me a confused look when I asked her what the temperature outside would be, but returned some time later and said it would be in the minus hundreds. Oh that is because the Boeing 777 Stratoliner flies above the stratosphere at the veritable boundary of our atmosphere.
Now I will tell you why I have been writing all this. Because I have been feeling homesick already. I am missing Ma, Baba, and Jeetu. I should not have let them come to see me off. It hurts such a lot. I have been sleeping in snatches all this while and everytime I close my eyes I see Ma's sobbing face. I see Jeetu hugging me and not letting go, I see Baba pretending he is made out of steel but patting my back to let me know how much he will miss me. I love you all so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment